According to the information that Riot Games recently announced, the 10th World League of Legends Championship 2020, will take place with 22 participating teams instead of 24 as originally planned. The two teams that did not attend Worlds 2020 are two representatives of the VCS region (Vietnam) because they cannot move to Shanghai, China to attend this tournament.
As the number of teams participating in Worlds 2020 has decreased from 24 to 22, the play-in format (Play-In) is also adjusted differently from each year. Specifically, the number of teams participating in the warm-up round will be reduced from 12 to 10. The No. 3 seed team of the LCK region (Korea) will go directly to the group stage (Group Stage) instead. play from the warm-up round as originally scheduled.
Warm-up round format
The boot round of Worlds 2020 is still divided into 2 rounds as before.
In the first round, ten teams participating in the Worlds 2020 warm-up round will be divided into 2 groups according to the seed ranking, 5 teams each.
The teams will play in a round robin competition and Bo1 selects the top 2 teams in each group to qualify for the group stage.
The teams ranked 2 – 4 in each group will advance to round 2, the bottom team being eliminated.
The 3rd and 4th place teams in the same group will meet in the first match of the 2nd round in a Bo5 format.
The winner of this match will meet the second place team in another group (also in the Bo5 format). The team that wins this match will qualify for the group stage.
Group stage competition format
The Worlds 2020 group stage still applies the two-round circle format and Bo1 with 16 teams participating similar to the previous seasons. The teams participating in the group stage will be divided into four groups according to seed position. The top two teams in each group will qualify for the quarterfinals (under the Bo5 format).
How to classify seed teams
The teams participating in the Worlds 2020 group stage are divided into four seed groups:
- Number 1 seed team: The No. 1 seed teams of the LPL (China), LEC (Europe), LCK (Korea) and LCS (North America) regions.
- The 2nd seed team and the No. 3 seed team of the LPL region, the 2nd seed team from the LCK and the LEC region.
- 3rd seed team: LEC and LCK 3rd seed team, LCS 2nd seed team and PCS region No. 1 seed team (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and Southeast ASIAN).
- Seed Group 4: Teams pass the warm-up.
The teams participating in the Worlds 2020 warm-up are divided into two seed groups:
- Seed Team 1: LPL and LEC No. 4 seed teams, LCS region 3 seed and PCS area # 2 seed.
- Seed team No. 2: The 1st seed teams of the regions CBLoL (Brazil), LCL (Eastern Europe), LJL (Japan), OPL (Oceania), LLA (South America), TCL (Turkey States).
It is expected that the CKTG 2020 kick-off round will start on September 25 and end on September 30, 2020. The group stage and final round are scheduled to take place from October 3 to October 31, 2020. Information related to Worlds 2020 will be updated by MarkGame in the next newsletter. For you interested, remember to pay attention to follow.